Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sympathy interview

(Originally from 2/25/04)

Sympathy is an impressive black/death metal band with brutal riffs and some very creative music. The production is very well done and the music sounds similar to Hate Eternal's first album, Suffocation, old Morbid Angel and Immolation. But the most surprising and impressive aspect of the band is that its only one man! Dharok gives us his perspective on metal and his own solo project...

Tell us a little about how Sympathy got started...
Dharok: I started Sympathy – under a different name – back in 1991. I was just out of high school and was a freshman in college. I managed to pull a few players together and do a few shows as a metal/thrash band. We recorded a demo in the fall of 1991 and then a really bad full length in the spring of 1992. After that, the band slowly started to fall apart. By 1995, I was totally on my own.

You have a new album coming out now [Arcane Path]. How do you usually begin writing your lyrics and music for each album?
Usually, I start by collecting song titles that I think sound cool. After that, I start assembling riffs and arranging them into songs. Once that process is underway, I begin to put all the drum tracks together with a MIDI sequence that will import directly into Pro Tools. After I have a pretty good grasp of the overall sound and shape of the song, I take a rough mix home and begin working on the lyrics. Vocals and leads are always the last thing to be done.

What kind of effects and guitar gear do you use on the new CD?
For guitars, on Arcane Path, I recorded with a custom BC Rich Warlock and a NJ Series Beast. Both guitars only have the factory pickups. There is a guitar-guy that I go to that does an amazing job setting up an instrument, so I always make sure that I keep everything in top shape because it makes a huge difference as to how the instrument plays. For all my amp tones and effects I used my Line6 AX2 amp. It has taken me a long time to make it sound good because there is almost too much onboard tone control. It is easy to make it sound horrible, but making it sound good can be a challenge. And for cabs, I used a Peavey XXX 4x12, Line6 4x12 and the AX2 combo. Hands down, the XXX cab was the best sounding and I used it for all the rhythm guitar tracks.

Of the few released, do you have a favorite Sympathy album? Song?
Yeah, I have a favorite song. The first Sympathy release for Fear Dark had a song called Realm of Disease on it. There is a song on Arcane Path that is a conceptual continuation of Realm of Disease. The song is called Bearing the Plague and I think that the rhythm playing and vocals really come off well in that song. Plus, this is one of the songs for which Tim Roth – from the prog/death band Into Eternity – played a lead. I guess I would currently choose that song as my favorite..

What are the advantages/disadvantages for being in a one-man band?
One of the major advantages is that rehearsals are a lot shorter and less painful! But beside that, I more able to carry out my artistic vision for each song: I don’t have to bend to the wishes of other band members. But there are certainly disadvantages, for one, I do not get the benefit of the artistic input of other band members which might lead to a great bit of music that I would be unable to think of myself. Also, another disadvantage is that I have to be able to pull off all the performances on all the instruments. This can be very difficult at times.

How much experience have you had recording and producing music individually?
Well, the very first time that I recorded with a band, it was self produced; and that was actually back in 1991. I have always self-produced and I am not sure I would be interested in doing otherwise. But besides my work with Sympathy, I have produced music for over 30 artists in various musical genres over the last four years. Producing is a skill that requires you to be well versed in all forms of music, plus you need to have a very good musical ear. I am constantly working at improving my ear and expanding my listening catalogue.

How long does a full length album take for you to record and produce usually?
When I work with clients in the studio, I usually instruct them that each song that is recorded with a full rhythm section will take a minimum of 25 hours to track, mix and master. Of course that depends upon how rehearsed the band is, how difficult the music is, and whether or not there are any serious technical problems along the way. So I guess a full length 10 song disc would take about 250 hours. Of course, if you put more time into it, the final product will sound better.

I think that Arcane Path took me roughly about 180 hours to record. The reason that I have come in under the estimate is because I am very efficient in my use of time, and I am usually very prepared prior to the start of tracking. Invocation took roughly 120 hours.

Who are the musicians/bands that have inspired you the most?
These days, the artists that I get the most musical inspiration from are Dimmu Borgir, The Legion, Cryptopsy, and Immolation. Each of these bands has something about their own sound that I like. Dimmu has the keys, Vortex’s voice, and the production of Studio Fredman; The Legion has their blackened death metal sound; Cryptopsy has Flo’s drumming; and Immolation has great riff arrangements and Ross Dolan’s voice. Strangely enough, I have also really been enjoying a lot of power metal lately. High on that list of artists are: Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Symphony X, and Rhapsody.

If you could form a dream band of any musicians, living or dead, who would be in it and why?
Well, I wouldn’t be in the band. I would rather just watch from the audience. To answer why I would choose these musicians, it is only because I like their performances with their own bands.

Vocals: Ross Dolan – Immolation
Guitar: Eric Rutan – Hate Eternal, ex-Morbid Angel
Guitar: Doug Cerrito – ex-Suffocation, ex-Hate Eternal
Keys: Kevin Moore – ex-Dream Theater
Bass: Vortex (mostly for his clean vocals) – Dimmu Borgir
Drums: Flo – Cryptopsy

Many black metal and death metal bands have a message in their music that is very important to them. What is the message you hope to get across with Sympathy and how do you attempt to achieve that?
Well, music is entertainment and I – for one – get physically sick of musicians who think of themselves as profound social commentators or deeply insightful people. (ahem! U2. . . barf) Musicians are often the most out of touch and deluded people that you could possibly meet. I firmly believe that music is purely for human enjoyment, and I hope that people get pleasure from the music that I record. I should also say that if my faith colors the lyrics of my music and if it is a central topic for much of my music, then my art has only been consistent with who I am as a person.

What can we possibly expect to see in the future for Sympathy?
Well, if you know, please tell me. . .LOL! Really, I am not sure. I know that I will keep recording as long as I can or until I loose interest in extreme metal. Now, whether that means that I will be recording and playing under the name Sympathy, on my own or with others, or in an entirely different incarnation of Sympathy, I do not know. Sometimes planning these things is too restrictive. I prefer to take things as they come.

Finally, what advice would you give to aspiring musicians and metal bands?
Always practice with a metronome.

I would like to thank Dharok for agreeing to the interview. The new album Arcane Path is out now, but may be easiest to find online. You can visit the official Sympathy website at www.realmofdisease.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment