Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Manilla Road interview with Mark Shelton


(Originally from 10/02/07)

Mark "The Shark" Shelton of the classic heavy metal band Manilla Road gives us a brief moment of his time to discuss the new album in progress, the work that has gone into his music, and many other aspects...


To start off, can you give us a brief description of the band - for those who may not be familiar with the history or music of Manilla Road? 
Shark: We started as a heavy space rock band and over the first 3 albums between 1980 and 1983 we turned into what we called an Epic Metal Band. After 14 albums released we still try to experiment with fusing different styles of music into the metal. We have been to Europe touring several times now and always show up somewhere in the U.S. to do shows but our main concern is putting out the recordings.

I'll cut right to the question I'm sure fans want to hear answered the most - what can you tell us about a potential new record? 
Well, it is almost finished. I am finalizing the mix in our studio right now. We are hopeful to have it out by the first part of 2008. As for what it sounds like. I think it is a little darker and heavier than our last album Gates Of Fire. I'm not going to give up the name of the album yet but it is a concept project timing out at a little over one hour long. I am the only lead singer on this album. Bryan did not work on this project with us except to engineer a little bit in the studio. I think he will be touring with us though in 2008. I think the project has songs on it that seem to be a bit of a turn back to the Mystification style of writing.

Does it get any harder coming up with new songs or albums after Manilla Road has been around for 30 years? 
It's just getting harder to top what we have done before. You don't want to be stagnant and put out songs that are just repeats of past hits. So, yea, it does get harder as time goes on.

Can you tell us who are some of the bands/musicians that have inspired you? 
Michael Schenker, Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Hendrix, Rush, Hawkwind... man the list is huge. I have been inspired by everything that I have ever heard that I liked.

Do you have a favorite Manilla Road song? 
Usually it is the one that I am currently writing.

Would you describe the songwriting process that occurs when the band is coming up with new tunes? 
I start off by writing the guitar parts first and forming vocal melody lines to that. After I get a good arrangement together then I sit down and decide on the concept of the song and proceed onto the lyrics. Then I bring that to the rest of the band and they add their ideas to it as well.

What specific techniques or practice routines do you personally use to improve your playing ability? 
Top secret stuff there. If I told you I would have to kill you. Actually I just practice as often as I can, which is everyday, whether it be with amps or acoustics. Always keep searching for new chords and approaches to the music.

I have some relatives who actually live in Wichita, and from what I've seen it doesn't look like a very active place. Is there, or has there ever been much of a metal scene in Kansas? 
It is small but the metal fans that are here are steadfast.

Is there any advice you might give to aspiring musicians, bands or guitarists? 
Dedication and determination. Just don't give up. Follow your dreams. Adapt, improvise and overcome.

And last of all, is there an interview question you've always wanted to answer, but that no one has ever asked? 
Shark: Yes, Shark loves to eat pussy.


Special thanks to Mark "The Shark" Shelton and all the guys in Manilla Road for making this interview possible. You can visit their official website at truemetal.org/manillaroad and their MySpace page at www.myspace.com/manillaroadofficial

No comments:

Post a Comment