Monday, February 16, 2009

Helstar interview


(Originally from 7/13/06)

Helstar is a thrash metal band from Houston, Texas that made it's mark upon the metal community in the mid-to-late 80s with the release of two of their most infamous, classic albums: Remnants Of War and Nosferatu. In 2006, the band has re-united under the Remnants line-up and guitarists Rob Trevino and Larry Barragan give us a look at the past, present, and future of the band - including the progress on a long-awaited comeback record!


Kicking things off, can you give a brief synopsis for those whohaven't heard of the band's history, evolution and the style of music you guys play? 
Larry Barragan: Well, Helstar is a Texas band that has been around since about 1982 or so. We started off with our roots in Maiden and Priest but we evolved into a more progressive power metal type band. Although back then we didn't call it progressive metal we just called it metal with technical parts. The band has put out I think like 7 albums since the early 80s. 
Rob Trevino: Yup, not much to add there! Larry started the group when he was still in high school. I would also say that our style evolved as it was influenced by some of the other (then) underground bands of the era. Helstar is definitely a band that never followed any trends, but we were aware of what our peers were doing...

After many line-up changes, you've recently re-united as the line-up that recorded the legendary Remnants Of War album. What exactly brought this reunion into effect?
LB: Robb Chavez of Robb's Metal Works came down to Houston to see our other band Eternity Black play and after the show while drinking some beers we got on the subject of who he was going to get to play his annual showcase. He asked what would it take to get the Nosferatu line up back together. I basically told him that really wasn't realistic. I told him it would be easier to do the Remnants of War line up since Rob and I were already playing together in Eternity Black. Also Russell Deleon is playing with us as well and he had been a member of Helstar during the later years. It just kind of snowballed from there. 
RT: Just like Lar said. I am pretty sure that he or James would not have even considered the other possibility even if Andre and Frank were still actively playing. Not because of any conflicts or animosity between any of them, but I mean, you basically had 3/5 of the band already playing together in another band. It just made more sense.

I'll go ahead now and ask the question that I'm sure all the fans want to know: is there anything you can tell us about a new album in the making? 
LB: We have a couple of songs finished and we have others in the working stages. I guess it's going to sound like Remnants meets Nosferatu
RT: We are working on it, but due to family and work schedules, it is a longer process these days! Not to mention that Larry, Russ, James and I all have other projects. Plus, we've been entertaining offers to perform and that is taking time as we have to rehearse and re-learn some more of the Helstar catalog for them. Once we get through our August shows we will begin writing in earnest. Of course, if an idea comes to Larry or me right now, we'll record it at home and work on it individually or via email until we can present to the rest of the band. And of course there is Jerry's material to go through... Whatever it is, it will be heavy!

Eleven years have passed since the last Helstar studio album and twenty years have gone by since the current line-up was last together. Do you feel that it gets harder to write new material after such a long time? 
LB: Yes and no. I'm not looking for the easy way out and try to do Nosferatu part two or Remnants part two. I would like for it to sound like Helstar, that neo-classical meets power metal sound that is sort of our signature. At the same time I want it to sound original and fresh and most important of all, HEAVY. Writing comes sort of natural. I just have to sit down and start playing. Sometimes an idea will stick and I record it and see if Rob can run with it from there. 
RT: I don't think so. We are both riff machines! haha... Sometimes we work on a riff immediately if we feel like it's an easy one to finish. Others we just shelve until we're ready to explore them. We just record them and name them whatever we think of at the time. some of the names can be pretty funny. Larry and I have been playing together (again) for the last 3 years and we've gotten really good at working together. We pretty much have a writing partnership now that we didn't really have 20 years ago and it works really well.

Who are some of the bands/musicians that have influenced your guitarwork and the music of Helstar in general? 
LB: In the early days it was Black Sabbath and Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. We just tried to take it a step further. As far as guitarists go, Randy Rhoads and Yngwie. 
RT: Man, too many! The big ones, Sabbath, Priest, Ozzy, Maiden, etc, but there are so many others. As for guitarists, I am with Larry; my main influences are Randy and Yngwie, but I really like Tony Iommi, Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Michael Schenker, Uli Roth, and on and on...

How do you feel about the thrash scene today? Are there any bands around now that have influenced you? 
LB: I think the scene has obviously enjoyed a resurgence. I like a lot of bands that may not be considered thrash but are still super heavy. Off the top of my head I like Killswitch Engage, Mastodon quite a bit. A Life Once Lost is another great band. 
RT: I feel that there has definitely been a resurgence. Let's see, I'm sure I have been influenced in some way by some of the newer bands... I don't keep up with everything out there, but I know of several newer bands I like, such as Lamb of God, Chimaira, Killswitch... I don't know what is considered what anymore! Some people consider Helstar thrash- we used to call ourselves a power metal band with technical parts! Hearing some of it now, I can hear elements of thrash in the music.

Being a native Texan myself, I can't say that there are many metal bands that make it beyond local territory and into international distribution. You guys started out on the infamous Combat Records label and then switched over to Metal Blade a few albums later. What was it like getting signed to such reputable labels - was it difficult to gain exposure inititally? How were you guys noticed? 
LB: It was exciting to say the least. We thought we were on our way when Metal Blade picked us up but for whatever reason it just didn't happen for us. There was a lot of talent in Texas back then and still today. Back then Watchtower and S.A. Slayer, Militia out of Austin. People just didn't think of Texas as being a heavy metal factory but it really was. 
RT: It was really cool! I remember before Remnants was released, we came out on the Combat compilation "Bullets" alongside other Combat artists. Megadeth was on it as well as a bunch of other bands and I was like, "I've made it!" Well, yeah except that we didn't have any money! Haha! I quit the band just before it signed to Metal Blade, but I was there in the beginning of the whole Metal Blade relationship. Bryan Slagel and Mike Faley came to Houston and attended one of our shows and that pretty much sealed the deal. I think that Helstar was initially noticed out of the tape trading scene of the early 80s. That's how a lot bands got signed. The Burning Star demo somehow landed in the right hands and the rest is history.

Out of all Helstar's albums, do you have a favorite? What about a favorite song? 
LB: I still am very partial to Nosferatu. It was my best writing effort and my playing was probably the best it's ever been. 
RT: I don't really. I know Larry is partial to Nosferatu, but there are really a lot of great songs on all of the albums. As for overall production, I'd have to say Remnants hands down is the winner. It just has such a heavy sound compared to the others.

Do you guys have some sort of tried-and-true method for writing each new Helstar tune, or does the music kinda just "come to you"? 
LB: No, no formula to writing. Like I said I just kind of start playing around and hope that I can come up with at least two good ideas and build on it from there. 
RT: Like Larry, I really don't have a method. 95 percent of the riffs I come up with are just a byproduct of sitting in my room jamming alone.

How long have you been playing guitar? What are some of the ways you practice now to stay fresh and keep developing your skills? 
LB: Well, I started when I was 13 and I'm 41 now so you do the math. I've been playing a fucking long time. I don't practice like I did back in the "Nosferatu" days. Back then I'd practice for about 6 to 8 hours a day. Now I'm lucky to get in an hour a day. I still practice with a metronome. It's the best way to develop a clean and precise playing style. 
RT: I have been playing 26 years. It has been harder to really get 'better' as I've gotten older. Mainly because I have a day job, family, etc. However, I do believe my 'feel' has gotten way better than 20 years ago. I will sit and try to make one note sound as many different ways as possible. I try to keep my speed, what little I have, up by practicing with a metronome. Re-learning these Helstar songs has done wonders for my overall dexterity!

Is there a single piece of wisdom that you think every guitarist should know? 
LB: Hmm, I think every guitarist should try to learn to play slow before they try to play fast. Speed should come naturally and your playing should be clean. I'm not the fastest guitarist around but I choose my notes well and I try to play my parts cleanly. 
RT: I agree with Larry; focus on learning to play cleanly and the speed will come.

Lastly, can you think of an interview question that you've wanted to answer before, but has never been asked? 
LB: Can't think of anything at the moment. Thanks for the interview. You asked some great questions. 
RT: Nah, not at the moment... Thanks for the interview! Hope to meet you sometime at a show...


Once again, I would like to thank Rob, Larry, and all the guys in Helstar for allowing this interview to happen. You can check out their official website at: www.helstar.com or their official MySpace page at: www.myspace.com/helstar.

No comments:

Post a Comment